Friday, December 6, 2013

St. Nicholas Day Traditions

I'll admit it.  I didn't fill my children's smelly shoes with treats last night for St. Nicholas Day. Another, "What kind of Catholic homeschool mom are you?" moment.  The shoe tradition was not something I grew up with.  In fact, I didn't know much about saints' feast days or even that Mass was offered every single day until I was an adult.  Add to this fact that I'm not a crafty, decorating, fun type of person, and you have empty shoes on December 6. I'm really more of a "sharing stories" type of mom.  Telling stories has the bonus of no clutter.

Several of my friends posted on Facebook that the shoes were filled and ready for joyous children to discover them this morning. Honestly, I love the idea of celebrating St. Nicholas' feast day, and I read the reflection about St. Nicholas of Myra in our saints of the day book yesterday since I knew we had a busy morning scheduled for today.  But somehow the "put it into practice" side of me isn't making any headway with the shoe tradition. 

The St. Nicholas Center offers lots of St. Nicholas information, including ways to celebrate and descriptions of traditions from around the world.  As my father's side of the family is of Hungarian descent, I took a look at the Hungarian customs. According to the site: 

On December 5th children in Hungary carefully polish their best boot and put it on the windowsill or in front of the door to be filled by St. Nicholas, Szent Mikulás or Miklós, sometime during the night. The good bishop comes with a big sack full of presents and a large record book with children's good and bad deeds.
He used to come with two helpers: a good angel who helps give out presents and a bad Krampus devil who makes mischief. Now it seems mostly to be the Krampusz.In the night Szent Mikulás secretly leaves little bags filled with candies, tangerines, oranges, walnuts, apples, chocolate Mikulás figures, peanuts, and small presents for children to find in the morning. Naughty children find twigs painted gold or a wooden spoon. Most children get some of each as no one is all good or all bad.
Even adults may participate, though they no longer seem to polish their shoes.
Perhaps I will read the various traditions with my children.  Maybe when they are grown and have their own children, they will be inspired to shine shoes and fill them with treats.  I can plant the seed, and maybe someday buy treats for grandchildren.  For today, I will offer "Happy St. Nicholas' Day" greetings and share a story or two.  

St. Nicholas of Myra, patron of sailors, children, and Russia, and a wonderful model of a giving Advent saint, guide us and lead us to the Christ Child. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment