Monday, January 21, 2013

Pure Joy!

Last week really flew by as I was preparing the final changes for my Spring Semester courses and making final arrangements for our parish movie screening of Restless Heart: The Confessions of St. Augustine.  I had a few sleepless nights and several crazy dreams about the event not going according to plan.  I started to feel rather anxious.  Friday morning, as we were preparing to go to Mass, I mentioned my nervous feelings to my daughter.  She said, "Mom, you shouldn't worry."  I looked at her, and  I believed her!  I replied, "You're right!  St. Padre Pio told people to 'Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry' and that's what I need to do."

When we got to church, I was able to pray without my mind wandering too much, which is rare for me.  I felt consolation during my prayers and as I received Holy Communion, the children's song, "I've Got that Joy, Joy Down in My Heart" played on the jukebox in my mind.  I've been praying the "Daily Pilgrimage to Purgatory" for the past week, and this devotion has strengthened my prayer and meditation time, making it more focused on others and ultimately more fruitful.

On Saturday afternoon we set 400 chairs in the school gym for the movie night.  We had sold at least 225 tickets, and I wanted to be prepared if we sold a lot of tickets at the door.  The turnout exceeded my expectations!  All but 5 rows were mostly full.  We didn't have an accurate headcount of attendees, but a glance at the crowd indicated at least 325-350 in attendance.  The movie was well-received and I believe many lives were touched by the story of St. Augustine's conversion.

Honestly, I was giddy when I saw so many people in the gym, and the excitement continued throughout the evening until the credits rolled and the crowd applauded the film.  I am grateful to our pastor for saying "Yes," when I approached him about bringing the Restless Heart: The Confessions of St. Augustine to the parish.  I'm grateful to everyone who helped make it a success.  Mostly, I'm grateful to the Holy Spirit for guiding and encouraging me to begin the earthly work that He clearly finished on Saturday.  One of the women from my parish was congratulating me after the film.  I told her I couldn't have done it without her--she sold at least 39 tickets on her own!  She replied, "When we do our best, God does the rest!"

Dear Lord, 

Thank you for your promptings in my life.  Thank you for the headache I suffered for five days last week--clearly it served some redemptive purpose.  Thank you for releasing souls from Purgatory when they have been purified and are ready to experience the full joy of Heaven.  Thank you for the little joys of each day here on earth that remind us of Your Goodness and Mercy!

Amen.



1 comment: