Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One Week Down....

Here we are, one week into Lent.  How's everyone doing?  So far, I have been tempted to look at Facebook, but not deeply.  I'm curious about what people are up to and if they've posted anything funny or intriguing.  However, I have successfully avoided logging in for a week.

Unfortunately, my hope to be more in tune and focused on my work as a result of giving up Facebook hasn't really happened yet.  I'm still behind in my grading.  A former classmate had an expression that suits grading essays: "It takes longer than it does."  I plan to finish a certain number of essays in an hour, and it never happens.  I'm perpetually behind.  I wonder if I give too many assignments, or if I should make more of them pass/fail.  Then, at the end of the semester, the students who "get it" specifically mention the usefulness of the progression of assignments, and I know that I'm doing something right.  I'm not the quickest professor in terms of returning graded work, but my students should be able to recognize two things:

  1. I actually read what they write
  2. I care about helping them improve their writing skills

In the end, that's really what my job is all about, so I need to stop whining about all the essays I need to grade and get it done.

The most important thing in Lent is not succeeding at a particular fast.  The most important thing is letting God take control and listening to his plan for us.  My intentions for the Facebook Fast are pure.  I want to pay better attention to the needs of my family and to be a better teacher.  I believe these motives are in line with God's will.  Therefore, I will continue my fast and pray that God uses my little sacrifice to mold me into the wife, mother, and teacher he wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment