Thursday, June 5, 2014

Accountability and the Minimalism Game

As I mentioned in my previous post, a friend invited me to join her and some of her other friends and family members in the Minimalism Game.

So far, I've kept up with each day's number goal. We have been sending "reply all" messages to each of the players in our game. 

Here are my small victories:

Day 2: Today I recycled a pile of papers out of the office and recycled a magazine that had been sitting on the end table in the living room for a few weeks. It's trash night, so they went to the curb! It's nice to have a clear corner on my desk! Hoping to tackle the garage tomorrow.

Day 3: Today, I threw out a cracked 14 lb barbell weight that had been left behind by the previous homeowner. We've been here nine years! I also threw away the welcome mat our realtor gave us that used to say "The Ford's. Most of the letters had worn away and it was cracked in half. I also got rid of a pile of lathing strips that had been on the raised beds in the garden, but they seemed to be more of an annoyance than a help with the "square foot gardening".

We are having out of town company starting Sunday, so I will be doing some of my "8, 9, 10" days with other days. I finally cleaned out the kids' craft cupboard which also held my almost fourth grader's 2nd grade school books. I recycled a giant stack of paper and old magazines, found a fast food sand castle toy to toss, and gathered a pile of books to give away. I think it more than covers "8"!

Day 4:
1. A key of unknown origin to the trash
2. Pile of sample work from my portfolio from 1995 (computer products catalogs and brochures), recycled 3. Life vest for a 30-50 lb child--in the van, ready to donate to someone who can use it.
4. Stack of mementos from the 1980s (concert program, perfect attendance certificate, other junk) that mean nothing to me now.

Thursdays seem to be loaded with appointments, and I've have several today which have kept me in the van, not able to purge any clutter. I have 10 more hours to locate 5 items to evict from my home. I can do this!


1 comment:

  1. High fives to everyone on Day 5!

    My list—all trash today:
    1. Old coil of weather stripping
    2. Box of powdered grout left in garage from previous homeowner
    3. Lid from a spray can that kept getting moved around the garage
    4. Two small pieces of vinyl siding
    5. Small case w/swimming earplugs

    Bonus: 5 outdated insurance cards, shredded

    ReplyDelete