Thursday, June 14, 2012

Reality Check

My stress level is building.  It's raining.  It's Wednesday.  I have too much in my mind that needs to happen right now.  And I'm giving three children their standardized tests this morning.  I'm foggy-headed, so nobody is making sense to me today.  Yes, it's still a sweet life and deep inside I really am happy.  Just for this morning, a day that wasn't well-picked for testing, I'm edgy and snappy.  I hate these tests.  Tommy hasn't done them before and he isn't a confident reader, so I'm a little scared that he is going to panic and cry.  Brian doesn't generally do well on the tests, so I'm anxious about that, too.  I tend to take it all too personally--that if the scores aren't high that it's a reflection of my inability to successfully homeschool my children.

I need to stop and pray now.  I'll report back later!

Update: Brian and Elizabeth were fine.  Tommy was a train wreck in the reading section, as I suspected.  On the bright side, he seems to recognize the importance of learning to read and we will be working gently throughout the summer to develop those skills so when second grade rolls around in the fall, it shouldn't be a tear-fest.

I have the packet ready to mail in for test scores.  Although I was ready to send everyone to school back in March and April, I think we will stick with homeschooling.  I have some ideas for next year that should make homeschooling both enjoyable and productive--and sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment