Sunday, March 30, 2014

On Laetare (Joy) Sunday, Let Us Be Light

In today's Gospel from John 9:1-41, a man blind from birth is given sight through a miracle which Jesus performs on the Sabbath. The Pharisees questioned the man about how he had come to see. When he told them about the mud and washing in the waters of Siloam (more than once), they concluded Jesus must be a sinner because he healed on the Sabbath. The man testified and witnessed to the truth, in spite of being thrown out of the Synagogue. The Pharisees, in spite of their learning, could not put behind their hatred and jealousy of Jesus. They denied the Truth which was right before their blinded eyes.
When Jesus heard that they had thrown him out,he found him and said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"He answered and said, “Who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?”Jesus said 
to him,“You have seen him,the one speaking with you is he.”He said,“I do believe, Lord,” and he worshiped him.Then Jesus said,“I came into this world for judgment, so that those who do not see might see, and those who do see might become blind.” (New American Bible on USCCB.org)
We, like the blind man, are called during Lent to pass "from the darkness of sin and error to the Light of God, who is the Risen Christ."

The liturgical color for this Sunday is rose, just as in the third Sunday of Advent. Our Lenten journey is half-way over. Easter is in three weeks. Have you grown in the light of Christ this Lent? Although I'm excited for the coming of Easter, I'm honestly glad it's a bit later this year. I still have work to do in preparing myself spiritually for the Resurrection of the Lord, and I'm glad to have three more weeks in this penitential season.

Yesterday, I had the honor of helping with a Lenten retreat at my parish for the Confirmation students. The day began with an opportunity for confession. So many Catholics avoid and fear the confessional. We must keep in mind that the priest is not "waiting in the box" to judge us. Rather, he waits in "Persona Christi" to heal us. I have had more than one priest explain to me that when he leaves the confessional, he forgets what he has heard. This grace is a gift to our spiritual fathers--they are healers, not throwers of stones. Christ came to redeem us through his blood on the Cross. He does not call his priests to chastise us. When I confess my sins and then look to the priest, how many times have I heard, "Thank God for your good confession" when I think "What is wrong with me that I keep committing the same sins?" The more frequently I get myself to confession, the more grace God provides for me to deal with the struggles and frustrations of life in the world.

"The 'Easter duty' is still applicable" provides a fabulous explanation of the Church's "minimum requirements" for a Catholic to go to confession and to receive the Eucharist at least once per year.

Heavenly Father, 

You sent our Lord, Jesus Christ, into the world to be the Light for Our Salvation. Help us to be children of the Light, spreading His Truth and Love throughout the world.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment