Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Transitus

Today is October 3--my mother-in-law's birthday, my son Brian's half-birthday, the Transitus of St. Francis of Assisi, and a Wednesday.  It's a day like any other day, where lots of people need prayer.  Two families I know had "quiet" struggles this week (not many were aware of their hardships), and I wanted to take away their troubles.  Of course, I don't have that sort of power, so I did the next best thing, I prayed, hard.  And, I asked my children to pray, too.  I know some people don't believe in the power of prayer, but I've felt and seen prayer at work in my life and the lives of those around me.

We are parishioners at a Franciscan parish, and my husband and I studied and were professed in the Secular Franciscan Order early in our marriage.  We moved a few times since the profession and haven't been active in a local fraternity, but I still feel the call of the Franciscan charism in my life--a call to prayer, love, and simplicity.

October is a month we remember to respect life.  Both of the families who are struggling recognize the value of life.  On this Transitus, I pray that St. Francis asks God's blessing on my friends as they transition into the next phase of their family life, which will undoubtedly be much different next week than it was at the end of September.

The children and I were able to go and be of service for one of the families this morning.  Somehow housework at someone else's house seems so much easier and more fulfilling than it does at home.... One of the joys of homeschooling is the license to drop everything and be of service to those who need it when they need it.  I hope my children learn the "perfect joy" of helping others through our "at your service" days.  Just as the students at traditional schools have a break from academics on teacher in-service days, we had a break from academics this morning.  Though we weren't reading and writing, much learning was happening.  We learned about organizing, about making room for others in our homes and hearts, and about getting things done peacefully and lovingly.  The older children took turns minding the toddler while the moms did big work.  Other older kids sorted, organized, and tidied a room to make space for another bed.  In the middle of our work, we took a break and shared a meal.  Sitting at the table together with our friends, just as we do with our family, gave us an opportunity to hear one another, especially the child who is struggling the most with the transition.  He had a place to share his frustrations, but he still smiled and laughed.  I'd call it a good day!

I pray for all who may happen upon my little blog.  May God continue to bless you and your family in whatever hidden struggles you may face.  May he hold you in the palm of his hand and give you his peace. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. I was putting David to bed tonight and reminded him that his half-birthday is next week. So he said, "That means Brian's was today!" Sorry we forgot - Happy half-birthday, Brian!

    ReplyDelete