Tuesday, October 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo Starts Thursday, November 1, 2012

Have you ever considered writing a novel?  Do the dark days of November seem like to perfect time to sip tea and write 1,667 words a day to meet a 50,000-word goal by November 30?  Are you looking for a new goal or project in the midst of your already busy life that will elicit the remarks, "You're nuts!" "I don't know how you do it!" or "You're writing a novel.  Wow, I've always wanted to write a novel!"? If so, you should check out the National Novel Writing Month website at NaNoWriMo.org.

I started a novel in 2010, but grading the research paper assignment I had my college students working on got in my way.  Last year, my excuse was a 5-day power outage, and the research paper.

This year, the research paper is due earlier in the month!  The worst of the Superstorm Sandy missed our area, so power is normal.  I haven't settled on a genre or written any character sketches this time.  However, I am hopeful that 2012 will be the year I write my first novel!

I proudly watched my daughter write every day and "win" as she completed her word-count goal in 2010 and 2011 (co-authored with her best friend). At age 13, she is giddy for November 1 and the chance to write her third novel.

If you have been reading my blog posts, you may be snickering a bit and thinking this is part of my A.D.O.S. and I won't finish.  You may be correct in that assumption, but I'm telling you about my goal as self-motivation to stick with it.

If you decide to write a novel in November, I wish you love and sweet success, to the tune of 50,000 words.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Patrice! I'm still considering what to write about. One of my children suggested a cat story. Perhaps!

      Delete