Thursday, November 1, 2012

Searching for My Narrative Voice

Happy All Saints Day!

This morning, on the way to Mass, I thought of a story I started in graduate school for a fiction-writing class.  The memory inspired me to revisit the characters in the novel I will write this month.  I found the draft dated October 25, 1995.  The folder contained numerous copies with comments from my classmates.  One particular draft had a sea of blue ink--comments, corrections, critiques--from one of my peers.  The final remark, Reread and think about what you want to do with this as a storyteller.  Then write and explore!--AZ

My biggest hangup with writing fiction has been my resistance to the role of storyteller.  I am too nice to my characters. I protect them.  I help them avoid danger. I help them make good choices.  Then, I run out of story before it begins.

Thank you, AZ, for telling me 18 years ago to think about how I want to approach the story.  I took your advice and reread.  I see an opportunity here!  And once it's written, I may seek you out and send you a manuscript that you can cover in blue ink.


No comments:

Post a Comment