Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Preparations without Stress

Many times over the years when I've hosted a holiday meal, I've gotten stressed and cranky.  Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll make it through without a "mommy meltdown," but I feel more relaxed than I have the past month.  A few weeks ago I felt rather blue, overwhelmed by the darkness of fall.  The past week, though, I refocused my energies on the important things.  Meal planning.  Exercise.  Working with my children on school.  Most importantly, communicating with God.

Meal planning makes the whole day smoother.  If I know in the morning what I'm cooking for dinner, the rest of the day seems to magically fall into place.  This week especially, I knew every day what we'd be having for dinner, and in spite of "out of the house" appointments every day, dinner was ready on time and satisfying.

Exercise dropped to the bottom of my list after the half-marathon in October.  I prefer running outdoors, and the dark days limit when I can run.  Yes, that's an excuse.  I went for my yearly physical this week, and when I mentioned minor irritations I've suffered recently, the first thing the good doctor asked was whether I have a regular exercise regimen.  No offers for pills or tests, just, "Are you exercising?  If not, get on it!"  Dear Reader, I don't know about you, but sometimes I just need someone to tell me what to do!  The doctor's strong advice propelled my desire for immediate change.  I knew that I would go to dance class that night.  I know that I will run Thanksgiving morning and again on Sunday.  Exercise strengthens my body and my mind, reducing stress.  The change must happen now, not when the days are longer and warmer!

When homeschooling feels like a chore or a bore, I want to quit and send everyone to school. More excuses--I can't do everything, they don't listen, etc.  However, I finally realized that if it's not working, I need to change. So I did! After prayer, I put their work first most days instead of my chores. And guess what happened?  My kids grew to be more motivated and interested in their work.  I'm enjoying sitting with them and talking through their lessons.  Last week, we read and discussed the Declaration of Independence.  Working from the primary document, we discussed why the Colonists sought independence from England and what makes a government tyrannical.  Yes, the 7-year-old was a little bored and antsy at times, but the 11-year-old was engaged, making connections.  We looked up the hard words in the document as we read.  That day was probably the best history lesson I ever experienced, as a student or a teacher.

Communicating with God through prayer makes all of the rest possible.  My youngest child is preparing for First Communion this school year.  Again, as his teacher, I'm learning more about the faith.  Our lesson plans recommend reading passages from The Faith Explained by Fr. Leo J. Trese.  I've owned the book for a while, but I began studying it more seriously this fall.  What a treasure!  Catholic teachings are explained simply, with depth.  The section on prayer explains the purpose of prayer as "adoration, thanksgiving, repentance and petition." The gentle reminder that petition should only come after adoring, thanking, and repenting particularly impressed me.

Today, I had the joyous experience of a visit from a Jehovah's Witness.  Their Kingdom Hall is less than a mile from my house, so they frequently knock at my door. I usually answer, listen to their message, and say no thank you to their tracts (always kindly and cordially). Today, I was outside when a group was working their way through my neighborhood.  "Sue" approached me, alone (usually they come in pairs).  I cheerfully entered a conversation with Sue regarding my daily study of scripture.  We agreed that God speaks very clearly to us through the scripture and that in these tumultuous times, we must turn to Him.  I shared with her that I had recently taught my young son the Lord's Prayer and that instead of simply memorizing the words, we talked about what each phrase meant and how the prayer helps us to know God.  She seemed surprised at my enthusiasm.  We kept talking.  She shared a passage from Timothy.  I shared my experience reading the parable of the talents this morning.  She asked me what my faith is.  I told her that I'm Roman Catholic.  She seemed stunned.  She said she hasn't met many Catholics who study scripture.  I mentioned how rich our faith is and how we can worship daily at Mass, and that every day we have scriptures from the Old or New Testament and a reading from the Gospel.  The Holy Spirit guided me to evangelize the evangelizer.  We shared a moment, loving God together.  She offered me a book about the Bible and said she'd like to talk to me again.  I don't know God's plan, but I know that today I witnessed to the Faith.  He used me as Salt and Light, and I'm so overjoyed to be Jesus' Witness!

As this evening draws to a close, I will turn in prayer to God, just as I did this morning.  First, my God, I adore you.  I am in awe of your creation all around me, especially humanity.  I thank you, this Thanksgiving Eve, for the blessings you so abundantly shower upon me, especially when I am a retched servant who hides her talent.  For those times when I am far from you, you are still near.  Forgive me.  My petition, help me to more genuinely adore, thank, and repent.  And help me and all hosts and hostesses to stay calm and joyful tomorrow, if it be in accordance with Your Holy Will.  Amen.

1 comment: