Friday, December 7, 2012

Holding My Tongue

I admit it--sometimes I'm a whiner and a complainer.  If something annoys me, it's hard to hold back my critical tone.  Today, while sitting in the waiting room of my doctor's office, it took every ounce of restraint not to pipe up and comment on the inappropriate behavior of the person to my right.  The woman looked to be over 65, at which age one generally knows how to exhibit proper public behavior.  However, in this electronic age, all bets are off! "Grandma Gamer" sat playing a video game on her smartphone with the volume blaring. Every few seconds a tinkling coin sound or a male voice exclaiming "Excellent" or some other praise phrase would emanate from her handheld device.  

I pulled out my copy of Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey.  My primary care doctor recommended the book to me.  Ratey describes the many beneficial aspects of exercise to overall health, particularly mental health and stress reduction.  I tried to focus on the words, but Grandma Gamer kept winning levels and the noise drove me to distraction. So much for passing the time quietly and catching up on my reading without interruptions and distractions in my active household.

I looked around to see if anyone else reacted to the sound.  Two women were deep in conversation.  Another, to my left, thumbed her own device, seeming oblivious to the screaming game.  One other woman sat across from me.  She didn't roll her eyes or glare at the other woman, but her body language did seem to reflect that it wasn't appropriate behavior for a quiet waiting room with "Turn Off All Cell Phones" posted at the door.

The woman to my left was called in for her appointment, then the women behind her who were farthest from Grandma Gamer also went in for their appointments.  The man in the game shouted more congratulations.  I looked over at the woman again.  She never made eye contact with me nor indicated that my disapproval was anywhere on her radar.  I prayed.  Dear God, I don't want to be a jerk.  Why am I so irritated at her entertainment?  She's just trying to not be bored while waiting.  Help me not be so irritated.  Amen.  

I held back again from saying, "Could you pl-ease turn the sound off???"  I took a deep breath, stood up, and moved to the empty seat farthest away from Grandma Gamer.  I don't know if she noticed and used her deeply hidden public etiquette deduction skills or if she simply "beat the game," but a minute or two later, I could hear the quiet, lovely piano music piped through the waiting room speakers.  I recognized the tune from "The Snowman" movie.

What lesson can I take from this encounter?  I guess my quiet response was best.  I don't know that it made a difference, but I avoided confrontation and insulting the woman.  We all need distractions at times, and perhaps her appointment was a cause for stress and worry.

In this season of Advent, dear Jesus, help me to recognize you in the broken, the hurting, and the annoying, because I know I, too, am broken, hurting, and annoying in my own right.  Help me to be patient and love those around me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment