Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Irish Dancing in the Month of March

Rainy Tuesday.

Rainy day project, done.  Elizabeth's beautiful purple velvet Irish dance dress no longer fit, so I sewed a new princess blue-colored dress for her last month.  Today, I finally completed the shawl.  We've been to two shows this "St. Patrick's Day Season" but we have three more this week, so I'm happy that her dance costume is finished in time for performances and the recital later this spring.  I had that shawl listed on three or four different to-do lists.  My goal was to finish it today, since my midterm grades were due today.  I planned to finish the grading last night and sew today.  And, surprisingly enough, things went according to schedule.  Now, things didn't go perfectly or smoothly, but that's okay.  The bobbin thread ran out when I was 2/3 of the way done.  Then the tension was off when I re-threaded the machine, three times.  I sighed, but didn't get too frustrated.  All in all, I'm happy that it's done and that I get to see Elizabeth wear it to dance.

At one of the recent shows, I saw a woman at the nursing home whom I had been wondering about recently.  We used to see her regularly at weekday Mass, but she hasn't been there in a while.  I was so excited to see her when we were dancing!  After the final bow, I went over to greet her.  I had been grinning at her while I was dancing, but I knew she didn't recognize me.  She's used to seeing me at Mass in my "homeschooling mommy" role.  She didn't know me as an Irish dancer!  When I went over to talk to her,  I told her that when I saw her, I danced for her.

I am always so happy to go perform at the nursing homes for St. Patrick's Day.  The residents love the music and seeing the children (and adults!) dance.  Our teacher, the owner of the school, gives a beautiful introduction, describes the dresses with their embroidery representing designs from the Book of Kells, and tells a little about the different types of dances.  She is always so gracious, thanking the audience for welcoming us to perform for them and "share our Irish heritage during the month of March."

I'm so grateful for the gift of dance.  I  thank God for inspiring my dance teacher to arrange all of the shows and for the hard work she does to bring joy to the "home-bound" for whom we perform.

St. Patrick...Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment