Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ringing Phones, Snow Day, and Pope Francis on Network TV

We've known since the weekend that Monday into Tuesday would be a March snowstorm.  In light of that information, I should have taken the phone into my room before I went to sleep last night.  Right on cue, the first automated "Cancellation Alert" call rang at 5:40 a.m., so I bolted out of bed across the hall to grab the phone on my office desk. I received five automated calls this morning before 10:30.  Not one person talking with me--just recordings.

Several of the calls gave me useful information.  However, the frequent ringing and the lack of a friendly conversation to follow the "Hello," on my end was somewhat annoying and disappointing. In general, I don't much like talking on the phone.  Modern phones are miserably uncomfortable against my ear.  The children wander in and out asking questions that they wouldn't think about if I were simply looking out the window at the falling snow.  The sight of me holding a phone and speaking into it, somehow, triggers their thoughts and propels them to beseech answers to their pressing questions RIGHT NOW (translated: only when Mom is talking on the phone)!  Needless to say, I didn't speak into the phone this morning after my initial "Hello," so the children paid me no heed.

The best thing about the first call was that it reminded me about Pope Francis' installation Mass, which I caught toward the end of the consecration.  The announcers were quiet and the Latin was beautiful.  Unfortunately, I watched the Mass on network television.  UGH!   Just after the Pater Noster, the commentating resumed.  All through communion and during part of the prayers after communion, the announcer and "a priest with an agenda" rambled incessantly about how this pope just might change the stance on women clergy and condoms.  Are you kidding me?  People were receiving Jesus in the Eucharist, and all they could talk about was sex and throwing Catholic tradition to the wind.  I was repulsed.  According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations worldwide.  So, if people want gay "marriage," contraception, female clergy, and acceptance of abortion, I imagine one of those denominations fits their needs.  We don't hear a constant plea from the media regarding Muslim beliefs or Hindu beliefs or Buddhist beliefs and how the time has come for these religions to throw caution to the wind and conform to the world.  

Jesus said:
If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you. (John 15:18-19)
Therefore, any Catholic, especially any Catholic priest should respond, "No, of course the Pope will not be changing 2000 years of teaching and tradition."  Instead, the media seeks Catholic representatives who will be likely to twist and turn and speculate so convincingly that uniformed viewers will perceive the misconstrued message as an official Vatican announcement.

Yes, the world hates what does not belong to the world.  The world expects alignment to the arrow on its twisted moral compass.  But Jesus has chosen us out of the world, and has sent the Holy Spirit to guide the Cardinals in electing the Vicar of Christ, Pope Francis to lead His Church.

I trust the Holy Spirit will guide Pope Francis' pontificate.  I trust that his teaching will conform with Catholic tradition and the he will help Rebuild the Church.  As we continue our Lenten journey toward Palm Sunday, Holy Week, Easter, and Mercy Sunday, I am hopeful.  Jesus, I Trust in You.



No comments:

Post a Comment