Thursday, July 5, 2012

Prepping for the Garage Sale

Sporting Goods and Household, to your left!
Wow--what a busy day!  We were setting up and pricing items for the garage sale all day today.  Three families--lots of books, toys, clothing, and STUFF!  Between us, we have 15 children, so it was a challenge to keep moving and working when kids had questions and needs to tend to, but the bigger kids (ages 11-17) were a tremendous help, especially with my friends' infants.



Toys!
We had a pow-wow with the children at the beginning of our work session. I gave a little speech (because I like to do those sort of things--talk loud, be the center of attention for a moment).  I told the kids how much we needed their help to make this weekend successful and that they would have jobs to do--and that we would be paying them based on the success of the sale!  They seemed a little more enthusiastic after that, though they had all been helping already.  We're fairly well-organized and ready for the weekend.  We've put ads in a local paper, on Craig's List, and on Facebook.  Between us, we have some pretty nice things for sale.  My friend lives on a busy corner with lots of traffic.  I'm very hopeful that the days will be successful, which will be measured in dollars as well as reduced clutter in our homes.  We have things set up as a mini department store.  We have signs for the following departments: Book Barn (in the garage), Sporting Goods, Household, Clothing, and Toys.  The children are planning a lemonade stand.

Tiny sampling of the books for sale
On the fitness front, Elizabeth and I did "speed work" at the track tonight.  Mike coached Elizabeth on sprints while I did some interval work on my own.  It was hot, and I didn't want to run after working all day with the setup.  However, I stopped whining and got to work. Those were 4 tough miles, plus I missed running with my girl two times this week.  We have a short run on the schedule for tomorrow, so we'll get to chat a bit.  I have valued our runs so much as a way to get closer with my daughter, and it seems like last Sunday's long run was a month ago.

In other news, tomorrow is our anniversary!  Mike and I have been married for 16 years.  Life hasn't always been easy for those 16 years, but he has made it a joy and a blessing.  I had a friend tell me when I was single that one of the most important things a person can do to have a good life is to "marry well."  I didn't really understand how true that idea is.  Over the years I've met people who struggle in their marriages, resent their spouses, suffer through divorces, etc.  Our relationship is human, and as a result it is not perfect.  But at the end of the day, we love one another deeply and genuinely.  We're in it together for the long haul!  I pray that others can have such a blessed marriage.  We are partners, lovers, and friends.  We are the parents, together, of four fabulous children.  Most importantly, we are two who became one in the Sacrament of Marriage.  Scott and Kimberly Hahn write and speak about marriage as a Covenant--not as a contract as society defines generally marriage.

In a society that is suffering on so many fronts, the center of a majority of our problems is the brokenness of the family.  I don't have the solution, but I know that a majority of couples who share their faith (obviously my preference is Catholicism, but couples of one faith background can be more centered in their overall relationship with one another and with God) and give themselves in open love to one another are a lot happier than the general population.

Have a sweet day!



No comments:

Post a Comment