Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tuesday Supper

Monday night, I rushed to bake some bread so Mike could have a sandwich to take for lunch Tuesday.  The bread tastes different, not bad really, but not that good either.  I don't know if I forgot the salt--as I said, I was rushing--or if the wheat is starting to go bad because of the heat.  I am hoping that I forgot the salt.  The bread didn't rise the way it normally does either.  In any case, it was adequate for grilled cheese sandwiches.  Along with the sandwiches, we had collard greens and white turnips sauteed with hot and mild sausage for Tuesday's supper.  Not a bad meal considering there is "nothing to eat" in my house.

We have a CSA farm share this summer in addition to a very thirsty garden during this extended drought (I'm heading out to water shortly).  I picked up the share today and realized I still had a few things to use up from last week.  We are definitely expanding our family's horizons with the vegetables we have been eating.  I have been resisting going to the grocery store, and my family is not thrilled about the lack of "snack" food in the house. I'd love to make the vegetables the snack of choice, but it's difficult since three of the four children will have some form of orthodontic appliances or braces by the end of summer, making crunchy snacks like carrot sticks a bad choice (popped brackets are a very bad thing). I'm recognizing a need for creativity in snack land!  Cucumbers, on the other hand, are an excellent choice because they're soft enough in their raw state for everyone to eat safely, and everyone in my family actually likes them.  

Wednesday morning, I will finally break down and go to the grocery store to stock-up.  We are out of milk, half and half (my guilty pleasure), cheese, and meat (unless you count pepperoni as meat).  We are completely out of pasta, which is not good in a house full of runners.  We need a bunch of other things, too.  I have been working on menu planning and a grocery list for the past few days. When I have a menu, the days are always easier.  

Summer should be easy, but it hasn't been as relaxed as I would like it to be this year.  The older boys are working at a community garden a few mornings a week and we've had a number of doctor, dental, and orthodontic appointments to work into our days.  Somehow things were a little easier when I had to take four small children with me.  Back then, I knew the next destination and was wise enough to do most out-of-the-house errands before lunch.  Now, with the 11-15 year olds, they have destinations from which they must be dropped off and picked up. Mom doesn't hang out with them everywhere they go anymore, which leads to a lot of back and forth and not-quite-enough-time to do the things at home that I'd like to do.  FlyLady would caution me against "perfectionism" and "stinkin' thinkin'" and that's probably true.

Yesterday I had just about 45 minutes before the next dash out the door.  I pondered, "What can I do in 15 minutes?"  I paced around for a few minutes and then realized I had plenty of time to make a batch of pesto with the basil I had trimmed earlier in the week.  I had it in a pretty pink bud vase on the counter, but I was making it wait too long and some of the leaves had lost their freshness and begun to wilt.  I grabbed the last of my almonds, a couple of farm share garlic scapes, some Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and the food processor.  In went the scapes and nuts.  Pulse, pulse.  Next, the basil leaves.  Pulse, pulse, grind (because I'm still praying for patience).  Parmesan cheese and olive oil.  Pulse, pulse, "Oh, it's so pretty!"  I put it in a bowl in the fridge for later this week.  Done, with time to spare!


Next, I refilled the maple syrup bottle that had been sitting on the counter for almost 24 hours.  I bought a gallon of syrup a month or so ago, and the kids would probably love to drown their pancakes, but I help them resist by transferring enough for a meal into a small bottle.  The small bottle makes pouring easier and helps with portion control.  I had plenty of time to tend to that little chore, too.  Still 25 minutes to spare, so I cut up a cabbage and some peppers and mushrooms for tomorrow's salad.  This task made room for the farm share I would be picking up in the evening and helped prepare for another meal.

The boys helped me water the thirsty garden after dinner while Elizabeth and Mike cleaned up the dinner dishes.  When we came in, I sat on the couch to have my coffee.  I read to Tommy, and the other three children were all in the living room with us listening to the story of Jemima Puddle Duck.  It was a cozy moment that brought a sweet end to a hectic day.


No comments:

Post a Comment