Friday, July 27, 2012

Ultramarathon Wife

Tonight, beginning at 7 p.m., my husband will embark on a 12-hour journey, testing his endurance, fitness, and mind in a way many people find "crazy."  He will be running a 12-hour race.  The winner will be the person who completes the most laps around a lake.  The loop is 3.17 miles.  I am nervous.

He ran a 50-mile race in April, so this one will just be a few hours longer.  That was a long day, but I was the only support he had, which meant while he ran for almost 9 hours, I sat around for 9 hours. There were other wives of ultramarathoners with whom I chatted throughout the day, but it was a rather lonely venture for both of us. Tonight, both our daughter and Mike's best friend will be with us. Elizabeth and I are planning to take turns running (pacing) with Mike late in the race, when his mind may be playing tricks on him and he will certainly be fatigued.  We will also be there at the pit stops to give Mike the food, drinks, and care he needs to get him through the race. It will be great to have another grown-up, especially one who is proficient in camping skills and has lots of gear.  In terms of gear and food, I think we're fairly well-prepared for the night.  What the night will do to my husband physically and mentally is not something I can honestly prepare for at all.

Dear Lord, bless Mike and all the runners participating in tonight's races (marathon, 12-hour, and 24-hour!!). Keep them healthy and strong.  Protect the runners, the volunteers, and the supporters of the runners.

1 comment: